Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fiore d'Ambra

I LOVE this stuff, but it is so insanely expensive that it is yet another bottle I'll probably never ever have. Even if I had the money to spare, I'm not sure I would spend it on this, but I do love it enough that I would be appropriately gushing if I received it as a gift. Like most people who come across Profumum's line, I  have a problem with the price for an amber when there are so many good ones out there at more reasonable prices. Not even just good ones, but truly great ones like Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan or L'Artisan's Ambre, or even better, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's version is classic and beautiful on anyone with the chops to still wear anything that doesn't stink of generic hand sanitizer (a la Chanel Chance eau Fraiche...sorry to you lovers of the brand, but I think thats all it is...a brand.). I am a lover of all things amber, and this is no exception. I had a 10ml decant of this and the quality is there, but the longevity really sucks, which surprises me for an amber, but there is something about it that keeps drawing me back. It's very sweet and sort of a spicy gourmand that reminds me of hot buttered spiced rum...I believe this is what perfumistas refer to as "boozy" but I hate that word and loathe even typing it. I can't imagine a man wearing this despite its unisex intent. Though who knows? Mr.K wears Shalimar Ode a la Vanille as a signature scent and never comes off as anything other than masculine, so anything is possible when it comes to scent (I love a man that bucks convention). For me this is another comfort scent that I like to put on my hands before bed, or when I am feeling sick. Maybe this is a bit of synesthesia on my part, but to me it smells the way a warm blanket feels when you're cold, or the feeling of burying my face in the crook of a strong shoulder. This is why I love perfume or anything that has a distinctive scent...its not as much the smell as it is the way that smelling certain things makes me FEEL.

No comments:

Post a Comment